Tuesday, September 6, 2011

I am reading the book “Cut” and it’s about a girl named Callie who doesn’t speak and cuts herself to feel good about herself. She was put into a help center they call “Sick Minds.”
They get separated into groups, but Callie is the only one that cuts herself so she doesn’t belong in a group. During a day at lunch she sneaks a piece of a pie plate to cut herself because she is so desperate for relief.
Her counselor was starting to give up on her because she would never talk. Until, one day, she started talking because they were threatening to take her out of “Sick Minds” because she wasn’t accepting any help.
Then, one night when she was able to, she cut herself with the piece of the plate. But, instead of feeling a rush of relief it gave her pain and she even tried to stop the bleeding.
In this book I’ve noticed that she would not talk until after she was told by her Mom that they were going to give her bed to someone else who was willing to work, I’ve also noticed that she doesn’t seem like she tries to kill herself or has any thoughts of it, cutting just gives her a sense of relief.
This book reminds me of a couple years ago when my best friend used to cut herself, and she told me she would never think of killing herself, but cutting just made her feel good inside. She doesn’t cut herself anymore, instead she finds other ways to make herself feel better.
I feel depressed because this book has a very depressing background. I also feel very sad for Callie because she is too afraid to talk, and people are trying to make her talk all the time, and they think she’s trying to kill herself but she never plans on doing it.
Some questions that I have are: Why does she cut herself in the first place? I think it’s because she feels so alone in this world that she doesn’t know what else to do. Why is she afraid to talk out loud? I think she’s afraid to talk out loud because she is worried about what other people will say about her.

No comments:

Post a Comment