Wednesday, September 7, 2011

I am reading Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan. So Lily starts this whole fiasco by leaving her red moleskin notebook in a book store with the words ‘Do You Dare?’ written across the front. So of course when Dash finds it he has to go through with what’s written inside. Soon enough the two are sharing their thoughts through this red notebook, never actually meeting but leaving instructions on where to leave it. Despite the fact that they choose not to meet, Dash even refuses to share his name, they send their friends and relatives to go check each other out. Though they both end up getting betrayed and are left description-less of each other. Lily’s relatives give only enough information to earn Dash the nickname Snarl.
I really like this book. Lily is such the optimist while Dash sets the record for most sardonic character ever. When their two vastly different personalities mesh the outcome is hilarious. I had to keep myself from laughing out loud in class. I like now they are slowly changing each other’s world. Lilly is pushing Dash to believe and hope while Dash makes Lilly aware of the more ironic side of life. Just in time, I think, for Lilly’s world to begin to crumble. Now when she is faced with all kinds of obstacles she is able to stand up for herself in ways she couldn’t have before she began talking to Dash.
I cannot wait to read forward. I’m anxious for the two of them to finally meet in person and what their reactions will be. It makes it even more suspenseful because Lilly accidentally left Dash notebook-less and without any way to get it to him. I can’t help but wonder how they are going to manage to meet if they can’t communicate anymore, and in a city like New York it won’t be for them to find each other. I must continue reading to find out how this wayward scenario all works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment