Monday, September 19, 2011

Week 3-Homecoming

As of right now, I am on page 311 of my independent novel, Homecoming, by Cynthia Voigt. Many changes have happened to the kids since I had last blogged. When I had left you, I ended up talking about how Dicey and the kids escaped from their Cousin Eunice's house in search of their possible deranged grandmother. After riding the bus for some time followed by a fair distance of walking, the kids got help from two teenage boys to cross the bay separating them from their grandma's. Once across, they found work to earn a little extra money just in case on a small farm where a strange old man needed help picking in his fields. It turned out that the man was crazy, and wanted to kidnap the children for his personal gain! If it wasn't for the circus in town and its owner, Will, the farmer might have done just that. After staying with the circus for some time, they eventually ended up at the farm of their grandma's, where Dicey decides to go in alone......

At this point, I feel very anxious to start reading again. What could happen to Dicey when she goes to see her long lost grandmother? Will she great her with open arms? Or will she throw the kids out, only to have them start walking on an endless journey to nowhere once again? Only time seems to tell for these kids. Also, I feel increasingly sorry for the Tillermans because they are truly good kids, but no one seems to really legally want them.

Some of the things I have noticed is how the author has changed her writing dialogue as they move from state to state or even from town to town. I liked how Voigt described one of the clerks at a grocery store in the town and how here words “came thick and slow, like molasses-again, something like Momma”(308). This just seems to give a reader a sense of where the Tillermans started and what their background might be. While I have been reading, I just can't seem to get the Baudelaire children from The Series of Unfortunate Events. Everything that these kids go through, whether being chased by a crazy man or even working in a circus, seems to link back to this other story. So I believe it is only fitting to think the question, Did Cynthia Voigt use the other book as a slight reference at all to her literary work, or was it just a coincidence? Perhaps this question may not even be answered. Nevertheless, I guess I'll just have to read on to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment