Monday, September 12, 2011

Week 2

I am still reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy. The story got to a point where the man has a flashback of what had happened in the past. It was when the man's wife was still alive. So far, it seems like she just gave up on everything. The man had hope that them and their child could still survive and his wife didn't think so. She thought it was best to just kill herself. The man tried to talk her out of it, but she was persistant. She just left and their child was sad she had left, but wasn't really surprised. I don't think that the man told his child that her mother killed herself.
I was really shocked at this part of the book. I had assumed from the beginning that their mother must have died some other way. I had thought that she died from natural causes, the fire, or got eaten by monsters or something. I never would have thought that she just killed herself because she couldn't take it anymore.
I actually am quite disappointed that the man married someone that just gave up. Thinking about the man, I expected that he would have married someone that would have tried to survive to the end, not some selfish woman that thinks it is best to just give up. I think that maybe this shocked the man just as much as me, but he couldn't do anything about it. I think the man in this book has the right idea to keep on trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment