Monday, September 12, 2011

Week 2: The Raging Quiet

So far, this book is pretty good. I'm on page 97. Marnie, the main character, and Raven grow closer and closer with each turn of the page. Marnie gradually comes to believe that Raven is not mad, but deaf. She and Raven communicate through a simplistic system of "hand words" or sign language. Marnie, slowly but surely wins his trust and the two bond like crazy. When the Locals find out that Marnie can communicate with Raven, they all think that she's a witch using black magic to talk to the mad-man.The towns people really upset me. I dislike them a lot! They're so ignorant and quick to judge. I just want to yell at them through the book, but then I remember its a book and move on. I absolutely love Marnie. She's so strong and independent and I feel so bad for her at times. She just wants to live her life her way, and she's brilliant! She is so persistant and the way she interacts with Raven is really inspiring, especially back in those days.
There were a couple quotes in the book that I liked so far, one of them was said by Father Brannann. He told Marnie "All great changes in our lives are hard to abide. Sometimes at first they seem almost unbearable, overwhelming, and we shall never find comitment in them. But all things work together for our good , and God always has our hapiness in mind." when she was distressed about her marriage. This quote really stuck with me, mostly because it sounds like something my mom would tell me.

No comments:

Post a Comment