Monday, October 10, 2011

I am on page 255 in my book now. I have figured out that the year in my book is somewhere around 2083. It was such a shock to realize Anya’s 88 year old grandmother was born just a year before me, 1995. I’d be around 87 years old if I lived in this book.
A lot has happened since the last time I blogged. Most importantly is that the supply of Balanchine Special Dark chocolate, the chocolate company Anya’s family somewhat legally owns was poisoned. They first found out when Anya gave her ex-boyfriend two bars of chocolate. He ended up in the hospital, extremely ill. Anya was immediately the first suspect. The way the cops interrogated her at the school reminded me of those cops in shows like Criminal Minds and NCIS that are far too eager to put someone in cuffs. I felt indignant that she didn’t even get a fair chance to tell her side of the story.
As consequence she is sent to a reformatory, which turns out to be on Liberty Island, where the Statue of Liberty is in our day. However, in their day the Statue of Liberty has been torn apart, only its lower skirt and feet surviving and the island goes by a different name, Riker’s Island, I think. Anya’s stay here is horrible but fortunately very short. She is soon bailed out by an unlikely friend.
Afterwards, Anya becomes involved with the new assistant DA’s son. They tried keeping their relationship a secret but that ultimately failed. The boy, Win, even now suggested they get married. I don’t know about the average age of marriage in this time period, but personally 16 seems way too young. Fortunately Anya doesn’t take him seriously. Anya struggles with this new found relationship and I don’t blame her at all. She can’t enjoy dating Win, she has to consider how everything she does is going to affect her family and what the possible consequences could be which makes everything even more difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment