Monday, October 17, 2011

I have started reading The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan who won the Mark Twain award for two of his Percy Jackson and the Olympians books, along with other awards for some other series he has. I was so excited to get this book because Riordan is my favorite author and I adore his Percy Jackson story. I got this book only last night but I’m already on page 447 (and reading while I type this, only 66 more pages to go!)
To completely understand all that’s happening in the book I think you’d have to read the six books that lead up to it but I’ll try my best to explain. Percy Jackson has been sent to the Roman equivalent of Camp Half-Blood, by Juno (Hera). He befriends two kids, Hazel and Frank, who both seem to be outcasts but have dark secrets and big destinies lying in wait for them. After a successful war game a quest is called and the three friends are sent to Alaska, the land beyond the power of the gods. There they have to defeat an evil giant who cannot be killed and free Death.
Like all of the previous Percy Jackson books, The Son of Neptune is filled with the same addicting mix of humor and action. I found myself unable to separate my mind from the book, which hopefully my teachers didn’t notice too much. I can’t wait to finish this so that I can return my attention to my book. Then again once I’m done with it I’ll be sad because the Mark of Athena doesn’t come out until the fall, which means I’ll have to wait the rest of the school year and the summer to continue the adventure. I strongly recommend reading this series, especially if you find mythology difficult. As unlikely as it seems it really helps you remember things about the gods and other mythical creatures. It helped me remember some things for my history test on Rome. That’s more then three hundred words so I’m going back to my story now.

No comments:

Post a Comment